County briefs

June 25, 2003|by TARA REILLY

Grant will be used for housing study

The Washington County Commissioners on Tuesday approved an application for a Community Development Block Grant to conduct a housing affordability study.

The county's current housing study is 13 years old.

The $30,000 to $40,000 study will address the number of current housing units and types, age of units, sales and rental prices, substandard housing data, trends in ownership compared to properties being rented, determinations on where housing is needed, the income levels of those needing housing and future trends in housing, among other issues.

County Administrator Rodney Shoop said that if the county doesn't receive the grant, the county will not do the study.

Rescue companies get $225,000 in aid

Washington County's 27 fire and ambulance companies will share more than $225,000 in state aid.

The Washington County Commissioners on Tuesday approved the distribution of the money to the 27 companies, including six within the Hagerstown Fire Department.


The Hagerstown Fire Department will receive $50,117 to be split among its six fire companies, County Director of Emergency Services Joe Kroboth said.

The remaining 21 fire and rescue companies each will receive $8,352, he said.

Contracts approved by commissioners

The Washington County Commissioners on Tuesday approved an annual multi-vendor contract to supply several grounds maintenance chemicals for Black Rock Golf Course, the Highways Department and the Department of Water Quality.

The City of Hagerstown piggybacks on the contracts for chemicals used at Municipal Golf Course, according to a written statement from the county.

The contract covers 35 chemicals. The suppliers are from Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

The County Commissioners also approved a contract for $29,699 to Beaver Mechanical Contractors of Hagerstown to provide plumbing and heating maintenance services in county buildings.

The contract is for one year with an option by the county to renew for up to four additional one-year periods.

In addition to county-owned facilities, the Washington County Health Department, the Washington County Free Library and the Housing Authority of Washington County are included in the contract.

County gets grant for responder training

Washington County will receive $9,750 in a state hazardous materials emergency responder training grant, Director of Emergency Services Joe Kroboth told the County Commissioners on Tuesday.

The commissioners approved a Memorandum of Understanding between Washington County and the Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) in order to receive the grant.

MEMA provides the money each year to increase the safety and capabilities of first responders across the state.

According to a Washington County document, the money will be used to pay for training costs for the Fire Department Special Operations Team and other fire and emergency responders throughout the county.

The grant covers 80 percent of the total training cost. The remaining 20 percent will come from the Fire Department Special Operations operating budget, according to the document.

The Herald-Mail Articles