Murder suspect jailed in W.Va.

June 19, 2003|by CANDICE BOSELY

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - The Martinsburg man wanted in connection with a fatal shooting over the weekend turned himself in Wednesday morning and was taken to Eastern Regional Jail, where he was being held without bail.

Kirk Leon Grantham, 25, walked into the Martinsburg office of the West Virginia State Police at around 8:45 a.m., Sgt. Deke Walker said. Walker could not say whether Grantham, who turned himself in without incident, gave a statement to police.

Not long after Grantham went to their office, state troopers took Grantham to Berkeley County Magistrate Court.

Magistrate Joan Bragg arraigned Grantham on one count of murder and an unrelated felony count of malicious wounding, Walker said.

Because murder is a capital charge, bail was not granted.

Grantham is charged with shooting Marvin Redman, 35, once in the abdomen Sunday after a struggle ensued between the two outside of the Capital Heights apartment complex.


Redman died at Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C., around seven hours after the 4:30 a.m. shooting.

After obtaining an arrest warrant Tuesday afternoon, officers went to two locations to look for Grantham, but did not find him, Walker said.

"The word had gotten out that we were looking for him," he said.

According to police, Grantham and Redman started fighting outside an apartment on Boarman Place. During the struggle, Redman was knocked to the ground and the gun went off at least twice, hitting Grantham's girlfriend in the leg and Grantham's mother in the arm, Walker said.

The women apparently were shot accidentally, Walker said. Neither was critically injured.

After realizing his mother and girlfriend had been shot, Grantham got the gun away from Redman, stood over him and shot him, police allege.

Grantham did not make a statement during his arraignment. In court paperwork, he indicated he plans to hire an attorney and asked that a preliminary hearing be held within 10 days.

At the time of the shooting, Grantham had served seven months of a three-year sentence. He was granted parole last October after pleading guilty in April 2000 to one count of distribution of crack cocaine. A federal sentence, it was handed down in U.S. District Court in Martinsburg.

One of several conditions of Grantham's parole was that he not carry or possess a gun.

Redman also had faced criminal charges in the past. Numerous felony and misdemeanor charges had been filed against him in the last 10 years, and he was scheduled to be in magistrate court next week to face two charges of possession of a controlled substance.

The malicious wounding charge that Grantham faces stems from a separate fight on June 8 in which William R. Hanna Jr.'s hand was cut.

That fight happened over an incident involving "Mr. Grantham's mother's window and a brick," according to the criminal complaint.

Conviction on a charge of malicious wounding carries a sentence of two to 10 years in prison.

A conviction on a murder charge carries a sentence of up to life in prison. West Virginia does not have the death penalty.

The Herald-Mail Articles