Advertisement

Fire destroys barn

June 19, 2003|BY GREGORY T. SIMMONS

A fire Wednesday morning in the 11300 block of White Hall Road destroyed a barn that the owner said was more than 100 years old.

Mark Waltz, 45, said that when he arrived at the barn, it was fully engulfed in flames.

"It's something you can't replace but nobody got hurt, so we're thankful for that," he said.

The fire was reported at about 8:45 a.m.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal's office said in a report that the fire began in a storage area by spontaneous combustion. Waltz's son, Tim Waltz, said only straw was being stored inside.

According to the fire marshal's report, loss was estimated at $100,000. The report said 30 firefighters responded. It took an hour and 15 minutes to control the fire.

Advertisement

Mark Waltz said he had completed a restoration of the barn two years ago, and said the barn was insured.

"It's just one of those things," he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|