Warrant issued in slaying

June 18, 2003|by CANDICE BOSELY

A warrant was issued Tuesday charging a Martinsburg man with murder after witnesses alleged he beat Marvin Redman in the head with a gun and then stood over him and fired one shot into Redman's abdomen, according to court records.

The warrant, which was issued in Berkeley County Magistrate Court Tuesday afternoon, charges Kirk Leon Grantham, 25, with one count of murder. Grantham had not been taken into custody by Tuesday night.

The shooting happened at around 4:30 a.m. Sunday at the Capital Heights apartment complex off W.Va. 9. Redman, 35, was shot outside an apartment on Boarman Place, which is the section of the complex in which Grantham lives, records show.


When State Trooper T.L. Lind responded to the scene, he found one woman, Rashawn Williams, 22, on the ground. Williams, identified as Grantham's girlfriend, had been shot in her leg's calf muscle, according to West Virginia State Police Sgt. Deke Walker.

A second woman, Darise Cole, 42, had a gunshot wound to her right arm, records say. Cole is Grantham's mother, Walker said.

On Monday, Walker had identified the injured women as Redman's mother and girlfriend.

On the ground and lying in his girlfriend's lap was Redman, who did not answer when police asked who shot him, according to court records. He was taken to City Hospital in Martinsburg, then airlifted to Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C., where he died about seven hours after the shooting.

Several witnesses, including the victim's girlfriend, alleged that Grantham was the shooter, police said.

Before the shooting, Grantham and Redman got into a verbal argument that turned physical when Grantham shoved Redman into the side of a van, records allege.

"(The two women) were apparently shot when Grantham and Redman were struggling over the weapon," Walker said.

After she was wounded, Cole grabbed her son's arm and told him she had been shot, according to the arrest warrant. Grantham then got the gun away from Redman and shot him, police alleged.

Cole and Williams both were treated at City Hospital and released, Walker said.

At the time of the shooting, Grantham was on federal parole on a drug charge.

On Oct. 31, 2002, U.S. District Judge W. Craig Broadwater ordered Grantham to serve three years of supervised release, according to court records obtained Monday. As terms of his release, Grantham was not allowed to carry a gun or commit any crimes.

The parole stemmed from a guilty plea Grantham entered in April 2000 to one felony count of distribution of crack cocaine.

Grantham was named in a federal indictment as part of a drug ring that involved four others who either admitted to or were convicted of participating in the fatal beating of 20-year-old Vatressa Miller in the summer of 1999. Grantham was not charged in connection with Miller's death.

In Magistrate Court, Grantham faces a felony charge of malicious wounding, which stems from a fight on June 8 in which William R. Hanna Jr.'s hand was cut with a knife. That arrest warrant was issued Monday.

The Herald-Mail Articles