Two die in separate accidents, one on U.S. 340

June 07, 2003|by CANDICE BOSELY

Two people were killed in separate road accidents Friday, including a Charles Town woman whose car was hit by a tractor-trailer after she reportedly ran a stop sign on U.S. 340.

The other accident, involving only one vehicle, happened around 3:45 a.m. at the intersection of Greensburg Road and W.Va. 45, east of Martinsburg.

That accident was investigated by Deputy T.E. Boyles with the Berkeley County Sheriff's Department. Boyles could not be reached for any additional information.


The driver in that accident was killed. A passenger in the car, which rolled over, was treated at the hospital and released, Sheriff Randy Smith said.

Smith said the driver, for unknown reasons, apparently lost control of the car. Smith did not know the driver's name or what type of car was involved.

The Charles Town accident happened at the intersection of U.S. 340 and Old U.S. 340 around 1:30 p.m.

Deputy R.L. Fletcher, with the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department, declined to release the name of the woman killed, saying her next of kin had not yet been notified. She was 54 years old, he said.

Two witnesses said the woman, who was driving a 1989 blue Chevrolet Celebrity, failed to stop at a stop sign as she turned left from Old U.S. 340 to get onto the northbound lanes of U.S. 340.

The tractor-trailer, the driver of which Fletcher also declined to identify, collided with the driver's side of the woman's car, crushing it inward.

The accident happened in the southbound lanes, which is the direction the truck was heading.

When the truck driver saw the car pull out in front of him, he tried to swerve to the left to avoid a collision but was unable to, Fletcher said. Fletcher said he did not want to release the truck driver's name because he was not at fault and will not face charges.

The collision pushed the woman's car across a grassy median and into the northbound lanes.

No other cars were involved, and the woman was alone in her car, Fletcher said.

Medics pronounced the woman dead at the scene. Volunteers with Independent Fire Co. and Citizens Fire Co. responded.

The Herald-Mail Articles