A powder-based fire extinguishing system worked properly, keeping a fire in a Hagers-town auto body shop's paint hood from spreading Thursday morning, city Deputy Fire Chief Ron Horn said.
"It did exactly what it was supposed to do," Horn said.
Fire broke out inside the paint booth at Hub City Auto Body and Painting at 757 Frederick St. at about 10:15 a.m. A heat-sensitive switch turned on the extinguisher, and it took about 20 responding firefighters 10 minutes to put the flames out, Horn said.
The fire was contained to the booth, and it appeared that no vehicles at the shop were damaged, Horn said.
While there was a strong odor after the fire was put out, Horn said Washington County Special Operations officials determined that no harmful fumes existed.
Frederick Street was closed for about an hour between East First Street and Eastern Boulevard.