High-speed chase nets man wanted on attempted murder charge

May 28, 2003|by MARLO BARNHART

An early-morning chase that reached speeds of 100 mph on Interstate 81 on Tuesday ended with state and city police on foot in Greenberry Hills, chasing and apprehending a man wanted in Frederick County, Md., on an attempted murder charge.

Edmund Alexander Smith, 24, of Germantown, Md., was being held without bond at the Washington County Detention Center Tuesday night, a jail official said.

In addition to the warrants for attempted murder and burglary in Frederick, Smith also was charged with possession of marijuana, driving under the influence of alcohol and nine other traffic citations, Maryland State Police said.


A check with the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration revealed that the driver's license of Smith, who only had a state ID card Tuesday morning, was suspended multiple times within the state, police said.

Trooper 1st Class David Matthews said he spotted a gold Chevrolet Lumina northbound on I-81 south of U.S. 11 at 1:15 a.m. traveling 52 mph in the posted 65 mph zone. The car also was seen swerving back and forth onto the shoulder, he said.

When Matthews activated his lights and siren, the car sped off, reaching speeds of 100 mph, police said. Exiting onto the ramp to Halfway Boulevard, the car ran the red light at Wesel Boulevard and turned left onto York Road, police said.

Police said they pursued the car through the residential neighborhood, reaching speeds of 60 mph and running eight stop signs. Approaching Armstrong Avenue, the car slowed and the driver got out and took off on foot, police said.

The car continued on, striking a parked Dodge Caravan.

As Matthews continued his pursuit of the driver through yards and into a wooded area, he was joined by Sgt. David Long of Hagerstown City Police, who apprehended the man when he jumped over a chain link fence.

A search turned up suspected marijuana in the man's pocket and a gallon bag of suspected marijuana in a blue bookbag in the car, police said.

In custody, Smith recorded a .19 blood alcohol level on the intoximeter breath test, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles