Woman charged with neglect

May 28, 2003|by CANDICE BOSELY

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Martinsburg woman was charged with felony child neglect causing injury Tuesday after a social worker and doctors agreed that two large burns on her 12-year-old stepson's body had not been treated by a physician.

Carlotta Endicott, 26, of Bowers Avenue, was freed after posting $5,000 bail.

Color photographs of the boy that were included in court records show a large, partially scabbed-over wound visible above his right knee and another large red mark on his chest.

No indication was given in court paperwork on what may have caused the wounds.

A social worker with the Department of Health and Human Resources first observed the wounds on March 13, after going to the boy's middle school. The boy was 12 at that time but turned 13 years old earlier this month.

Two doctors examined the boy, with one saying the wounds were at least second-degree burns, while the other said they appeared to be partially third-degree burns, records show. The first doctor told police it appeared someone had done rudimentary care on them, records show.


Before Endicott was charged, her attorney - whose name was not provided in court paperwork - called police and said his client called City Hospital when the wound occurred. A hospital employee told Endicott that nothing could be done other than what she could do at home, the attorney said. Also, Endicott looked up burn information on the Internet, her attorney told police.

A City Hospital employee advised police that medical advice cannot be given over the phone, according to court records. Doctors said the wound was serious, would have been extremely painful and required medical attention, records show.

The boy was not taken to the hospital until DHHR workers observed the wounds and took him, records allege. Surgery was required for the thigh burn, records show.

An arrest warrant was filed charging the boy's father, Jeffrey Endicott, 34, with child neglect. In court records, police said he reportedly was working at the time the wounds were inflicted. He had not been arraigned by Tuesday evening.

Conviction on a charge of child neglect resulting in injury carries a sentence of one to three years in prison.

The Herald-Mail Articles