Advertisement

Judge finds man not involved on sex abuse charges

May 24, 2003|by GREGORY T. SIMMONS

An 18-year-old Hagerstown man accused of molesting two of his half sisters in 1999 was found not involved Tuesday on sexual abuse charges filed in October 2002 when he was a juvenile.

Judge Frederick C. Wright III said "there is too much question" about what happened regarding the allegations of sexual abuse and one of the man's half sisters.

While the abuse "probably occurred," Wright said, "the evidence is too conflicting and not strong enough" to show "that he committed the offense beyond a reasonable doubt."

The man had been accused of two counts each of third- and fourth-degree sex offense against his two half sisters, now ages 9 and 11. The time frame was problematic, prosecutors said in earlier hearings, because the two sisters could not pinpoint the time the offenses were alleged to have occurred or how many times.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|