Helen Kohut, 80, who was driving a 1992 Nissan, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, police said.
Her husband, George Kohut, was flown by helicopter to Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, Md. A hospital official said Monday night that she could not release information about his condition.
Julie Bolton, who was driving the 1990 Ford pickup truck, and her daughter, Nina, were not injured, police said.
Police alleged that Bolton, 44, of Rocky Ridge, Md., was driving south on Md. 85 in southern Frederick County when her truck crossed the center line, near Oland Road, and hit Kohut's Nissan, which was headed north.
Md. 85 was closed for two hours, police said.
Man faces drug possession charges
The Hagerstown Police Department's Street Crime Unit arrested a man on the first block of North Prospect Street Friday during a drug sting.
Thomas Eugene Martin, 51, of no fixed address, was charged with distribution of crack cocaine, possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine, possession of crack cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession with intent of a noncontrolled substance.
Police alleged that a confidential informant bought crack cocaine from Martin.
An official at the Washington County Detention Center said Monday night that Martin was being held there, but she did not know the amount of his bond.
Deer density survey begins at battlefield
SHARPSBURG - Antietam National Battlefield will conduct a white-tailed deer density survey in the park today to Thursday. The study will be used to determine trends in the deer herd population.
The survey will be done at dusk using a marked National Park Service vehicle and spotlighting equipment.
Anyone with questions can call the park ranger's office at 301-432-2243.
Area man charged following crash
A Boonsboro man was charged after his car hit a parked trailer and flipped at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday on Alternate U.S. 40 near Boonsboro, according to a release from Maryland State Police in Hagerstown.
Jeffrey Ryan Diehl, 21, was charged with driving under the influence and negligent driving, according to police.
Diehl was taken to Washington County Hospital with minor injuries, police said.
DVD, CD player reported stolen
The Washington County Sheriff's Department received the following reports over the weekend:
- A DVD player, a stereo and compact disc player with a combined value of $2,800 were reported stolen at 11:30 a.m. Friday from the 20200 block of Robinwood Court.
- Maryland dealer tag 1A70696 was reported stolen from Massey Ford at 1714 Massey Blvd.
- Six bras, a toaster, a cordless telephone, a purse and $10 in cash were reported taken from a Dodge Caravan parked at Valley Mall at about 7 p.m. Saturday. Total loss was estimated at $100.
- A Chevy Tahoe parked at Valley Mall suffered $2,400 in damage when it was keyed on both sides at around 11 p.m. Sunday.
- Maryland motorcycle tag 544D02 was reported stolen Sunday at 5:30 p.m. from the 20400 block of Youngstoun Court.