Accident sends two to hospital
A Thursday morning accident on Alternate U.S. 40 at Cool Hollow Road sent two people to Washington County Hospital.
Maryland State Police Trooper 1st Class Doug Bittinger investigated the 8:37 a.m. accident that occurred when a Chevrolet S-10 pickup stopped to turn left on Cool Hollow Road and was struck from behind by a 2000 Dodge Caravan.
Donna Mary Mumma, 30, of 10148 Mar Rock Drive in Hagerstown, was charged in the incident, according to Bittinger's report. The exact charge wasn't available Thursday night.
Mumma, who was treated at the hospital and released, had a passenger in her vehicle, Margaret V. Miller, 71, of the same address. Miller wasn't seen at the hospital.
The driver of the pickup was Nathan Christopher Weirich, 29, of 5678 Mondell Road in Sharpsburg, police said. He also was treated and released.
Man faces charges in weekend shooting
FREDERICK, Md. - A shooting incident Saturday that sent one brother to the hospital has led to charges against another brother for reckless endangerment and second-degree assault, Maryland State Police in Frederick said Thursday.
James Webster "Jack" Portner, 70, of 15419 Sabillasville Road, was released on personal recognizance Thursday evening, according to a Frederick County District Court bond commissioner.
Edward Portner, 61, of Thurmont, remained in Washington County Hospital in good condition Thursday night, a nursing supervisor said.
First Sgt. Todd May of the Frederick barrack said the two brothers were at James Portner's home when the Saturday shooting occurred.
A press release issued Thursday said Edward Portner was shot in the abdomen.
License tag reported missing from business
A license tag was reported missing Wednesday from Power Automotive at 701 Frederick St., Hagerstown City Police said.
The Maryland tag number is 1A77506.
Sheriff's Department responds to incidents
The Washington County Sheriff's Department received the following calls:
- A vehicle license tag was reported stolen Tuesday at 11 a.m. from the 19600 block of Portsmouth Drive. The Maryland tag number is KXW 160.
- Jewelry was reported missing Tuesday evening from a home in the 16300 block of Mount Tabor Road.
- A license tag was reported missing Tuesday from the Budget rental agency at 18434 Showalter Road. The Maryland tag number was M838528.
- A radio valued at $150 was reported stolen from a 1986 Volkswagen parked in the 22300 block of Jefferson Boulevard. Damage to a broken car window was estimated at $100.
- Words were scratched onto a vehicle, it was reported Wednesday at 9 a.m. The damage to the car parked in the 11300 block of Sword Road was estimated at $200.
- Several windows were reported broken Wednesday at Building 700 at the former Fort Ritchie on Buena Vista Road. Nine windows, with an estimated value of $2,700, and two glass doors valued at $1,300 were damaged.
- Jewelry valued at $120 was reported missing from a countertop Wednesday at 4 p.m. from OM International at Valley Mall.