Advertisement

Developer offers new sites for 2nd Jefferson school

April 02, 2003|by DAVE McMILLION

charlestown@herald-mail.com

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - Huntfield officials have offered the Jefferson County Board of Education two more possible school sites, but a member of the board said she was not hopeful a land deal could be worked out with the developers of the housing subdivision.

Jim Duszynski, senior vice president of Greenvest L.C., the Vienna, Va.-firm that is developing Huntfield, said his company has offered two 75-acre sites from which the board could choose for a second high school.

One site is next to Page Jackson Elementary School on U.S. 340 and the other is on Summit Point Road across from the Locust Hills development, he said.

Advertisement

The two sites would not have any stipulations attached to them, such as requirements to build on the sites within a given amount of time, Duszynski said.

That was done since stipulations have been a sticking point on the initial property Huntfield offered to the school system, Duszynski said.

"We want to make it as simple as possible," Duszynski said Tuesday afternoon.

Last week, school officials said negotiations with Huntfield developers about donating another piece of land at the subdivision for a second high school have steadily deteriorated and there is a fear the plan is dead.

School officials said last week that Huntfield developers wanted the agreement to include several clauses, which made it unworkable, and that they were met with "hostility" and "stubbornness" when they tried to work out a deal with Huntfield officials in a meeting last week.

Board of Education member Delores Milstead said Tuesday she had not received anything in writing from Duszynski about other sites to be considered.

Milstead said she is not hopeful a deal can be worked out with Huntfield developers.

The board of education will hold a public forum Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Jefferson High School to discuss land issues and what the school system should do now that the state has turned down a request by the school system for $15 million to help pay for a second high school.

The decision "leaves us with some serious decisions to make," Board of Education President Lori Stilley said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|