Police log for 3/20

March 20, 2003

Mount Airy teen charged after chase

A Mount Airy teenager who led police in two counties on a high- speed chase on Interstate 70 Wednesday afternoon was being held at the Washington County Detention Center on $3,500 bond, jail officials said.

Richard Kenneth Cosgrove Jr., 18, was the driver of a 1997 Hyundai Accent that Maryland State Police in Frederick tried to stop for traffic offenses at 12:53 p.m. in the Myersville, Md., area.

Instead of stopping, the vehicle took some evasive maneuvers on Md. 17 and then re-entered I-70 westbound, reaching speeds in excess of 105 mph, police said.

The vehicle avoided one set of stop sticks but then hit a set put out by Trooper 1st Class Kyle George near Crystal Falls Drive, police said.


The vehicle continued westbound as the tires deflated and shredded. At one point, the car ran into the median just west of White Hall Road and entered the eastbound lanes for a short period while still going west.

When the driver lost control, the car re-entered the median, hit an embankment and overturned, police said.

Cosgrove was the driver and he was unhurt, police said. A 13-year-old girl who was a passenger in the car was taken to the hospital for a checkup, police said.

Police discovered the tag on the car had been stolen in Berkeley County, W.Va., last November. A small amount of marijuana and a smoking pipe were found in the car, they said.

Cosgrove was charged with misdemeanor theft, possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia as well as numerous traffic offenses including driving uninsured, police said.

Man charged after fight over french fries

FREDERICK, Md. -- A fight over french fries Tuesday afternoon at the Everything Cafe at 3 W. All Saints St. led to charges against a 24-year-old Frederick man who is being held on $30,000 bond at the Frederick County Detention Center.

Jermaine Michael Myers, of the 1300 block of East Street, was charged with two counts of second-degree assault and one count of threat of arson, said Frederick City Police.

Police went to the cafe for a report of a disorderly person at 4:10 p.m. When they arrived, they saw several people looking toward the 100 block of South Market Street where a vehicle was accelerating and driving on the sidewalk toward two people standing there, police said.

The two people were able to get out of the way and Cpl. Thomas Pfarr got Myers out of the vehicle, police said.

The investigation revealed an argument over french fries had begun inside the restaurant and Myers allegedly threatened to come back and burn the business down, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles