Police log 3/16

March 17, 2003

Woman faces several charges after allegedly attacking other motorist

BOONSBORO - The Washington County Sheriff's Department lodged charges Saturday against a woman who was allegedly so unruly during her arrest that police had to restrain her with handcuffs and leg irons.

The woman was identified as Catherine Anne Frances Bisnett, 44, of no fixed address.

According to police, deputies responded to the intersection of Alt. U.S. 40 and Md. 66 at about 11:45 a.m. for a report of a fight. When they arrived, they allegedly saw Bisnett choking another woman with a seatbelt.

The other woman was identified as Mary Garnand, 91, of Washington County.

Bisnett also yelled and laid on the road, according to police, who said she was under the influence of PCP and cocaine.

Deputies had to pepper spray Bisnett. She hooked her arm and feet under the car, police said.

During the arrest, Deputy 1st Class Thomas Routzahn injured his thumb.


Police said Bisnett had been driving her Isuzu pickup truck recklessly and hit a curb. She got out of the truck, then stopped Garnand's car, grabbed her seatbelt and choked her, police said.

As Garnand tried to get away, Bisnett was dragged for several hundred feet, police said.

Garnand suffered minor injuries and her glasses were broken, police said.

Bisnett was charged with first- and second-degree assault, malicious destruction of property, resisting arrest, failure to obey police, reckless endangerment, intoxicated endangerment, disorderly conduct, driving under the influence of drugs, negligent driving, reckless driving, driving with a suspended Maryland driver's license and driving with a revoked West Virginia driver's license.

She was being held at the Washington County Detention Center Saturday night.

Police respond to 'hostage' situation; call turns out to be false alarm

FREDERICK, Md. - Deputies, hostage negotiators and a special police unit waited outside of a house south of Frederick for about four hours Saturday morning only to find the alert was a false alarm.

The Frederick County Sheriff's Department received a 911 hang-up call from a home on Hallard Court, east of Ballenger Creek Pike, at about 4 a.m., police said.

A few other calls came later from the same address.

When deputies arrived, they couldn't reach anybody in the house, either in person or by phone. The deputies called for additional help.

The sheriff's department's hostage negotiators and Special Services Team showed up.

At about 8:05 a.m., police talked by phone with a woman in the house. Her husband came outside, and deputies checked to make sure the couple and their two children were OK.

The residents said they didn't know that deputies were waiting outside their house for four hours, according to police.

No charges were filed.

The Herald-Mail Articles