Advertisement

Go, do, learn

March 17, 2003

Life Line Screening


BOONSBORO - Boonsboro area residents can be screened to reduce their risk of having a stroke. Life Line Screening will be at the American Legion on Tuesday, March 18. The site is at 710 N. Main St. in Boonsboro. Appointments begin at 9 a.m.

Screenings are fast, painless and low cost. They involve the use of ultrasound technology and scan for potential health problems related to: blocked arteries, which can lead to a stroke; aortic aneurysms, which can lead to a ruptured aorta, and hardening of the arteries in the legs, which are a strong predictor of heart disease. A bone density screening is also offered to assess risk for osteoporosis.

Each screening requires 10 minutes or less to complete. A complete vascular screening package, including the Stroke/Carotid Artery, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and Ankle Brachial Index (hardening of the arteries) screens costs $99. A complete vascular package including the osteoporosis screening costs $125.

Advertisement

For information or to schedule an appointment, call 1-800-643-6188. Registration is required.




First aid class


The Volunteer Fire Co. of Halfway will host a first aid class 6 p.m. Thursday, March 20. The class costs $34, and includes a book. Register by calling Alan at 301-573-1034 or by stopping by the fire station. The class is approved for day-care providers.




Poison prevention tips


The Washington County Health Department encourages county residents to support National Poison Prevention Week March 16 to 23.

Curiosity and the desire to put everything in their mouths place children at greater risk for poison exposure than adults. More than 90 percent of all poison exposures occur in homes, and calls to poison control centers peak in late afternoon and evening. Because no prevention method is 100-percent effective, being prepared can keep poison exposure from turning into tragedy.

Eliminate potential hazards:

  • Know which household products are poisonous. Something as common as mouthwash can be harmful if a child swallows a large amount.

  • Buy child-resistant packaging: Child-resistant caps do not guarantee that children cannot open a container.

  • Never leave potentially poisonous household products unattended while in use. It takes only seconds for a poisoning to occur.

  • Don't create new cleaning solutions by mixing different products designated for other uses. The new mixtures may be harmful to children and may not be stored in proper containers.

  • Always read labels and follow the exact directions. Give children medicines based on their weights and ages.


Prepare your home:

  • Store all household products and medications locked out of sight and reach of children.

  • Keep all products in original containers. Never put a potentially poisonous product in something other than its original container.

  • Know which plants in and around your home are poisonous; either remove them or make them inaccessible to children.

  • Throw away old medicines and other potential poisons. Pour old medicine down drain or toilet and rinse container before discarding; do not put container with its contents into trash. Check for cleaning and work supplies that you no longer need.

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.



For information, call the Washington County Health Department's Prevention Services at 301-790-7947.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|