Advertisement

Crumbs from the Cracker barrel

March 12, 2003

At one time three grist mills were situated along what is now called Charles Mill Road near Clear Spring. Today Kuhns Mill is a private residence, while ruins can be seen of Bells Mill (also known as Haines Mill) and Charles Mill, which operated from 1814 until 1924 when the nearby C&O Canal closed.

Clear Spring resident Anna Murray Gossard remembers her father John Thomas Murray sitting her on his wagon loaded with wheat to be taken to Charles Mill near Big Spring, where he had the grain ground into flour. Her father's teacher at Green Spring Furnace School was Bernie Kinsell, whose daughter Hazel happened to be Anna's teacher when she attended the school years later.

Crumbs from the Cracker Barrel

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|