Advertisement

New landfill filling faster than expected

March 10, 2003|by TARA REILLY

tarar@herald-mail.com

With trash piling up at the Forty West Landfill, a county official said last week that construction of a nearly $4.8 million cell will have to be bumped up a year to expand the landfill's capacity.

Director of Public Works Gary Rohrer said the landfill has seen an increase in volume from the Westview Homes demolition project, and that an anticipated demolition of the Baldwin House in downtown Hagerstown will add to that.

He also said a local recycling company has told him it would like to dispose of 50 to 100 tons a day of materials.

Advertisement

The landfill currently takes in about 415 tons a day, Rohrer said.

"We don't have any cause for alarm" but officials are keeping an eye on volume indicators, Rohrer said.

Rohrer said the completion of the cell, which would be the landfill's third, is planned for 2005. The county's proposed Capital Improvement Program states the cell would have been completed in 2006.

The third cell will cost $4,759,000, according to the proposed capital plan.

In June 2002, the County Commissioners approved a $2.9 million contract to build a second cell at the landfill. Officials have estimated the second cell would last about three years.

The second cell was scheduled for completion on Dec. 2, 2002.

The $13.6 million Forty West Landfill opened in December 2000. It is situated on 425 acres near Conococheague Creek off U.S. 40. Officials have said the entire landfill has a life expectancy of 80 to 100 years.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|