Kegarise, who was the only person in the apartment, was sitting on her bed. Officials also found matches and lighters on the floor, according to the documents.
City man charged after reported bar fight
A Hagerstown man faces weapons and drug charges after he ran from police, who had been called early Tuesday to break up a bar fight, Hagerstown City Police said.
Five officers responded to the J Street Bar and Grill in the 300 block of North Jonathan Street, Sgt. Steve Bussard said.
When they arrived, Bussard said the officers found a man participating in a fight.
Police asked the man to step outside the bar, but instead he ran west on Jonathan Street, officers said. When police caught him, Bussard said, the man allegedly had a loaded .22-caliber handgun as well as crack cocaine.
William Jack Caldwell, 20, of 27 E. Lee St., was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, possession of crack cocaine with intent to distribute and possession of crack cocaine.
Caldwell was being held Tuesday night at the Washington County Detention Center on $76,500 bond, a booking officer there said.
Locked tractors stolen from outside Pa. store
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Two lawn tractors that had been parked outside a supply store were stolen earlier this week, Pennsylvania State Police said.
Between Sunday and Monday, someone cut the chain securing the two tractors outside Tractor Supply Co., 1695 Lincoln Way East, police said.
One tractor is a black Yardman with a 16.5-horsepower engine and 46-inch deck. The other is a gold Husky 20-horsepower tractor with a 42-inch deck, police said.
Anyone with information on the theft can contact Pennsylvania State Police at 717-264-5161 and reference case H3-1311466.
Police: Mobile home fire deliberately set
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A fire that destroyed a vacant mobile home in Guilford Township Monday morning was deliberately set, Pennsylvania State Police said.
Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal Skip Sydnor said the 10:45 a.m. blaze that ripped through a mobile home in the 2800 block of Guilford Springs Road was arson.
Police said someone entered the locked, unoccupied trailer and set the fire. There was no electrical service to the trailer at the time, police said.
Witnesses reported seeing a white male about 18 years old running south from the scene at the time of the fire, police said.
Police also were investigating whether the break-in of a vehicle at 2813 Guilford Springs Road near the time of the fire was related.
The mobile home was owned by Harold David Haulman, 65, of 233 Colorado St., Marion, Pa., according to police
The loss was estimated at $5,000, police said.
Anyone with information on the fire may contact Sydnor at 717-264-5161.
Lumber truck catches fire on Interstate 70
A fire spread from a tractor-trailer's brakes to its load of lumber Tuesday morning in Hancock, causing the State Highway Administration to close an exit ramp to Interstate 70 for several hours, a Hancock fire official said.
"We had the fire extinguished fairly quickly," said Lt. Derek McBee of Hancock Fire Department Station No. 5.
McBee said the truck stopped on the eastbound I-70 ramp to Md. 144 at about 8 a.m. Firefighters pulled off the smoldering wood and put the fire out in less than five minutes, he said.
The ramp was closed for several hours because the truck needed to be towed, McBee said.
Stereo equipment, purse reported stolen
The Washington County Sheriff's Department responded to the following calls Monday:
- At 10 a.m., it was reported that a 1997 Nissan 200 SX had been broken into in the 300 block of Chartridge Drive and stereo equipment had been stolen. A Jensen amplifier, a subwoofer speaker and the face plate to an Aiwa stereo were taken, and a window was broken, for a total estimated loss of $450.
- A purse was reported stolen at 3 p.m. at Kmart at 1713 Massey Blvd. from a woman who said it was taken from her shopping cart. Police said the loss was estimated at $600.
Construction drill burns during downtown work
CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - A fire broke out Tuesday afternoon in a piece of construction equipment being used for a $5.5 million revitalization of downtown Charles Town.
The fire occurred when a hydraulic line on the equipment ruptured, said Ed Smith, chief of the Independent Fire Co.
Construction crews were using the piece of equipment, a hammer drill, at the corner of George and Washington streets about 1 p.m., Smith said.
The fire burned itself out by the time firefighters arrived, Smith said.
Gravel was dumped at a storm drain at the intersection to prevent hydraulic fluid from running down the drain, Smith said.
The revitalization involves replacing water lines downtown and installing new sidewalks.