Advertisement

Fire sends city man to hospital

March 04, 2003|by ANDREW SCHOTZ

Clothes piled near a bathroom electric heater caught fire Monday at an apartment at 208 East Ave., a fire official said.

Hagerstown Fire Department Battalion Chief Randy Myers said a man was asleep at the apartment, but a woman came home and woke him because a smoke detector was going off.

Emergency officials identified the tenant as Isaiah Burker.

Community Rescue Service took Burker to Washington County Hospital, where he was treated and released. Myers said Burker suffered smoke inhalation.

The fire caused about $5,000 worth of damage, Myers said.

The Hagerstown Fire Department was called at 11:50 a.m. and stayed until 1:15 p.m., he said.

The Washington County Air Unit assisted on the call.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|