Advertisement

HCC has plans to upgrade

February 28, 2003|by TARA REILLY

tarar@herald-mail.com

Hagerstown Community College plans to spend $21 million to renovate and expand three campus facilities, officials said this week.

HCC President Guy Altieri said Wednesday the Career Programs, science and academic buildings, all of which are about 40 years old, are scheduled for the upgrades.

The plan states the science and academic buildings would be joined to house additional classroom and lab space.

Construction for that project is scheduled to begin in the 2006-07 fiscal years and cost about $10.5 million, Dean of Administrative Services Anna Barker said Thursday.

Altieri said the science and academic buildings have never had major renovations, and students are being taught in the original chemistry, biology and physics labs.

Advertisement

The Career Programs building is scheduled for construction in the 2008-09 fiscal years. Planned renovations include expanding the building to make room for new programs, such as continuing education classes and support services.

Some of the new programs to be offered in the upgraded building include nursing and radiology classes, according to the plan. Barker said that expansion is tagged at $10.5 million.

"Our biggest needs are our instructional buildings," Altieri said. "Over the next 10 years, we hope to get in good shape."

Barker said college officials will ask the Washington County Commissioners for $815,000 in construction costs for fiscal year 2004 to help pay for the projects, and then request $1.85 million for fiscal years 2005 through 2009.

She said the state will pay for 60 percent of construction on each of the expansions, if HCC receives the remaining 40 percent from the county.

Altieri compared the financial requests to the requests made by the Washington County Board of Education for money to improve school facilities.

"It's similar to the Board of Education's old buildings and need to upgrade," Altieri said. "We need help along with the Board of Ed. in getting up to current standards."

He said the college's buildings are in use 12 months a year and are among the most heavily used in the county. As a result, the buildings are in need of repair, he said.

Altieri said the college plans to make smaller repairs to its facilities that would require county funding.

Some of those projects listed on the 2004-2009 proposed Capital Improvement Program include installing lighting on Academic Boulevard to light the college's entrance, replacing a boiler and oil tank, putting new roofs on several buildings and installing air conditioning in the Athletic, Recreation and Community Center.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|