YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsWva

Man killed at W.Va. club

February 10, 2003|by DAVE McMILLION

A Kearneysville, W.Va., man was charged with first-degree murder after a man was shot in the chest early Sunday outside Images nightclub along W.Va. 51 west of Charles Town, W.Va., according to court records and a court official.

Raymond E. Hoak, 26, of Route 3, Box 225, was being held without bond Sunday night at the Eastern Regional Jail near Martinsburg, W.Va., in the shooting death of Larry G. Hose, 29, of Kearneysville, said Jefferson County Magistrate Gail Boober.

According to a criminal complaint in Jefferson County Magistrate Court, Hoak and Hose became involved in an argument inside Images and a witness overheard Hoak say that he was going to wait for Hose to leave the nightclub.


The complaint said the dispute continued outside the bar, which is located near the intersection of W.Va. 51 and W.Va. 480.

Witnesses said Hoak pulled a gun and Hose raised his hands, the complaint said.

"He's got a gun," Hose was quoted as saying in the complaint.

Witnesses saw Hoak fire a single shot, striking Hose in the chest, the complaint said.

Hose was taken to Jefferson Memorial Hospital in Ranson, W.Va., where he was pronounced dead about 3:13 a.m., said West Virginia State Police Sgt. David Boober.

Troopers were called to the scene at about 2:29 a.m., and authorities were informed that the alleged shooter was last seen traveling east on W.Va. 51 in what appeared to be a white Dodge Intrepid, the complaint said.

Authorities were informed that the car turned left on Darke Lane and was traveling at a high rate of speed "without the use of headlamps," the complaint said.

At about 2:38 a.m., a trooper, along with Harpers Ferry (W.Va.) Police Chief Donald Buracker and Ranson Police Cpl. Todd Luttman arrived at the Hoak residence off Hite Road, the complaint said.

A large group of people was observed outside the house, the complaint said.

As a trooper approached the house, a man came toward the officer and said there had been a shooting, the complaint said.

The man said Raymond Hoak and the gun were in the house, the complaint said.

As the trooper continued toward the house, Raymond Hoak approached the trooper and raised his hands, the complaint said.

Investigators have not established a motive for the shooting, said Boober.

"I think they're still trying to hash out the statements from witnesses," Boober said.

At Images Sunday afternoon, there was nothing to indicate that the shooting had occurred.

A small group of cars was parked outside the one-story building, and inside, soft rock music played. An employee who answered the door said no one at the bar wanted to comment about the shooting.

Hose's body will be taken to the medical examiner's office in Morgantown, W.Va., possibly today, for an autopsy, Boober said.

The Herald-Mail Articles