Man charged with robbing bank through drive-in window

January 17, 2003|by RICHARD BELISLE

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Martinsburg man has been charged with robbing a teller through a drive-in window at a Berkeley County, W.Va., credit union Thursday afternoon and making off with more than $5,000 in cash.

Kevin Huff, 33, was arrested shortly after the hold-up and charged with bank robbery, according to Chief Deputy Kenneth Lemaster of the Berkeley County Sheriff's Department.

Lemaster said a man walked up to a teller's window at the Eastern Panhandle Community Federal Credit Union at 36 GM Access Road and told the male teller that it was a robbery and to hand him the money in his drawer.


"He told me he had a gun in his pocket," the teller said later. "I said, 'If this is a joke, it's not very funny.' He put his hand in his pocket and said, 'If you don't give me the money, I'll shoot you.'"

The teller said he gave the man "a good bit of cash."

According to the police report, the man left the window with $5,092 in $100, $50, $20, $10, $5 and $1 bills.

"He was not wearing a mask," the teller said. "He parked in the employee parking lot. We were really busy at the time, but I could see his license plate number."

The teller told police that the man walked to his car, a yellow Cadillac with three other occupants - a man and two women - and drove away, according to the police report.

Lt. Cheryl Keller saw the Cadillac heading south on Williamsport Pike and stopped it. The man fled the car on foot and Keller chased him through the nearby woods, police said.

He was caught behind the Oasis bar and returned to the credit union, where the teller identified him as the robber, police said.

Huff was under police guard at City Hospital in Martinsburg Thursday night where he was being treated for a reaction to crack cocaine he had swallowed, Lemaster said.

Lemaster said the other occupants in the Cadillac were questioned and released.

Martinsburg City Patrol officers Matt Zollinger and T.W. Belomy along with West Virginia State Police troopers assisted, Lemaster said.

The Herald-Mail Articles