Advertisement

Family of five homeless after mobile home fire

January 13, 2003|by DAVE McMILLION

charlestown@herald-mail.com

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - A family of five lost their home early Sunday when fire raced through a mobile home along U.S. 340 south of Charles Town, said a fire official.

When firefighters arrived at the scene after receiving the call about 4 a.m., the home was engulfed in flames, said Ed Smith, chief of the Independent Fire Co.

"There was no saving anything," said Smith, who added the firefighters switched their efforts to making sure the fire did not affect any nearby structures.

Advertisement

The home was behind the Rainbow Diner and Truck Stop, which is about two miles south of Charles Town.

Two adults and three children inside the home were alerted to the fire when they woke up and smelled smoke, Smith said. Members of the family noticed the fire was spreading from an area where a space heater had been, Smith said.

All of the family members escaped the mobile home safely, Smith said.

Smith said he believes the fire may have started when the electrical circuit the space heater was hooked up to overheated.

Smith said he did not know the name of the owner of the home, who lives in Winchester, Va.

The family who lived in the home leased it, Smith said.

The family stayed with a family member after the fire, Smith said. The Red Cross was assisting the family with its housing needs Sunday night, Smith said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|