Letters to the editor - 12/21

December 23, 2002

Poor treatment

To the editor:

Let me tell you a little about the existence of a fur-bearing animal harvested for its pelt. A wild thing kept incarcerated, it is doomed to a sorrowful life. Pacing back and forth in its feces- encrusted pen, many develop what is known as "cage madness," which is another way of saying insanity.

After growing old in this thoroughly vile existence, it is anally or vaginally electrocuted and skinned for its pelt. Because of this sometimes unreliable method of death, some animals are still alive when they begin to skin them. The ultimate credo of commercial fur farmers is, do not harm the integrity of the pelt!

That is why they insert a conductor in the back and a power source in their mouth, then they turn on the juice. We find this too cruel for human murderers, but everything is great when it is an innocent animal.


No one sees fur as glamorous or trendy these days. Everyone is aware of the indecent cruelty involved. It takes 60 pelts to make a full-length mink coat. You may as well dip your garment in blood before you wear it, because that is what you bought. Please don't buy fur for your loved ones this holiday season.

While we're at it, let's boycott cruelly harvested Indian leather by not buying leather coats, pants or skirts. Let's remember the wild things this Christmas season by not painting our white Christmas thoroughly red.

For information concerning an animal Bill of Rights, write me at: Bill of Rights Initiative, c/o Lanny McClure, P.O. Box 51, Quincy, Pa. 17247-0051.

Lanny R. McClure

Waynesboro, Pa.

Some accident

To the editor:

After reading your article "Woman's death ruled accidental," in which it was reported that the police chief ruled that the death of a nursing home resident who was found hanged by her neck in a bathroom was accidental, I made several urgent telephone calls.

First, I called my optometrist and asked him to make a house call, which he does not do as a rule. I told him I was in desperate need of new glasses. Then I told him about the hanging, adding that I thought I had read that the police chief said the woman may have tripped in the bathroom and became tangled in the shower hose, but that could not possibly be an accurate reading. After he stopped laughing, he asked where I had read the article, trying, I suspected, to avoid making a house call. Upon returning to the telephone, he said, "I read it. There's nothing wrong with your glasses, but that police chief has a problem, and it's not with his eyes."

Next, I called my cousin, who is a rocket scientist, literally, and asked her about the likelihood that the police chief was on the mark. After she stopped laughing, she said, "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to answer that question!"

To be on the safe side, I called all my friends who have family members living in the nursing home where mother lives. After telling them about this tragic hanging, I said, "Now we not only have to worry about bed rails, which we all know are more dangerous than a nuclear bomb, but we have to be vigilant for hyperactive shower hoses as well."

OSHA, I understand, will no longer be visiting nursing homes. Surely those inspectors would change their minds if they knew that the lives of staff members will be imperiled if they venture too close to a bed rail or run afoul of a shower hose.

Jane Marshall

Clarksville, Tenn.

Robinwood works

To the editor:

Concerning where a new hospital should be built, it should be built next to Robinwood Medical Center. It is the perfect place for it, and I'm tired of hearing how people from Hagerstown can't get there.

Every time I'm at Robinwood I see County Commuter buses, coming and going all the time, as for taking land in Hagerstown and tearing down people's homes to build a hospital, it is completely ridiculous. If the homes of the ones suggesting this were at stake, it would be a different story. If a new hospital is built, I hope there would be a wing to treat people with leukemia.

On Sept. 27 of 2001 I was told I had leukemia, and only had three months to live, and I would have to go to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore to be treated.

When you're on a fixed income like me, you're put on the spot. I was fortunate to have a neighbor with the love of God in his heart, who took me back and forth to Baltimore over an eight-month period, until all three of my chemotherapy treatments were completed.

I know I speak for many people from Washington County who find themselves in need of treatment for other types of cancer, and have to travel to Baltimore or Washington, D.C. Building a new hospital next to Robinwood Medical Center is the perfect place for it to be.

Victor E. Arentz


Santa Claus visits a soldier overseas

To the editor

I am writing you because my wife, Deanna Kline of Clear Spring, told me that the paper has a section on soldiers being stationed overseas. My name is Maxwell James Kline, and I am a Staff Sergeant in the United States Air Force.

The Herald-Mail Articles