Advertisement

Fire causes $5,000 damage to South Mountain Inn

December 23, 2002

BOONSBORO - Poorly discarded fireplace ashes caused a fire that sparked $5,000 worth of damage to the outside of Old South Mountain Inn in Boonsboro Sunday.

At about 4 a.m. Sunday, an employee of the restaurant found a small fire at the rear of the building and called for help, according to State Fire Marshal reports.

The fire was caused by hot ashes that were cleaned out of the restaurant's fireplace and thrown out the back door near some firewood, said Keith Abrecht, chief of the Boonsboro Fire Department.

He said the ashes later ignited the wood, which spread the fire to the exterior wall of the building, including a wooden porch and the roof.

Advertisement

The interior of the building suffered minimal smoke damage and the restaurant opened for brunch Sunday morning.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|