Advertisement

Errant fireplace coals cause house fire

December 02, 2002|by LAURA ERNDE

laurae@herald-mail.com

HAGERSTOWN - A Hagerstown family's home was damaged Friday by a fire caused by errant fireplace coals.

Trudy Clukey said her family thought the ashes were cold when they placed them in a cardboard box in the downstairs family room of the house at 10300 Bear Creek Drive.

The ashes apparently overheated and set the room on fire, said Funkstown Fire Co. Assistant Chief Kevin Kotanko.

No one was home when the fire started. Clukey said she came home to see smoke billowing out of the chimney of her brick and gray-siding split-level about 2:30 p.m.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke pouring out all the windows. Smoke spread throughout the house, although the fire was contained to the family room, Kotanko said.

Advertisement

It took about five minutes to put out the fire, he said.

No one was hurt in the fire, but Halfway firefighter Jeff Kimble injured his leg when he slipped and fell in the yard, Kotanko said. Kimble was taken by ambulance to Washington County Hospital for treatment.

After putting out the fire, firefighters dragged a charred couch, love seat and other belongings onto the front lawn.

Kirk and Trudy Clukey had the home built about seven years ago, Trudy said. They have three sons.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|