Advertisement

Smoke alarm saves family

November 29, 2002

KNOXVILLE, Md. - A smoke alarm saved a family Thanksgiving Day morning from a fire that caused $25,000 damage to their Knoxville Road home, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

The 2:43 a.m. fire began in wiring near the basement ceiling and spread, igniting bedding and furniture in the first-floor bedroom above, fire officials said.

Ruth Nicholes and her grandson, who were sleeping in that bedroom, escaped along with two other family members, fire officials said.

The American Red Cross was helping the displaced family, fire officials said.

The 200-year-old home is in the 200 block of Knoxville Road.

Thirty-five firefighters from Frederick County, Md., Boonsboro and Loudon County, Va., had the fire under control in 20 minutes, fire officials said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|