In 1815 Hagerstown's first fire company was organized in C.C. Fechtig's Tavern with George F. Kreps being elected the president. Known as the First Hagerstown Hose Company, the bucket brigade initially met in a small room at the north end of St. John's Lutheran Church on South Potomac Street. The next location for the company was at the rear of the lot on which The Maryland Theatre now stands. Finally, in 1881 a building was erected on the site of a former marble yard on South Potomac Street where the fire company is now located. The cost of the lot and building was $15,000.