Fire guts home, injures man inside

November 20, 2002|by CANDICE BOSELY

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A man pulled out of a trailer that was destroyed by fire Tuesday night was airlifted to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore for treatment, but no additional information about his condition was available.

The man's name could not be confirmed Tuesday night.

Firefighters were called to a blue and white trailer in Dodsons Mobile Home Park off Grapevine Road outside Martinsburg at around 7:15 p.m. for a reported fire.

About 15 minutes later, neighbors mingled outside the trailer, watching firefighters. One woman said it seemed as if nobody was trapped inside - despite police radio reports to the contrary. Moments later, however, a firefighter ran out of the trailer's back door, yelling.


Medics immediately wheeled a stretcher over and the man was placed onto it, under a blanket. Medics attended to him for a few minutes in the back of an ambulance before taking him to City Hospital. He was later flown out, a City Hospital spokeswoman said.

Chuck Summers, deputy chief of the Baker Heights Fire Department, said it seems the blaze started in the home's living room. The victim was found in a back bedroom. The state fire marshal's office was investigating.

Dave Jones lives two trailers away from the trailer that caught fire and ran to its small front porch after learning of the blaze.

After he found he could not see anything through a window, he kicked in the trailer's front door.

"When it came open, all this smoke came rolling out and hit me in the face," he said. His glasses fogged up and he could not go inside to see if anybody was trapped, he said.

"You could see some flames, but it wasn't really all that hot," Jones said.

Emergency personnel from Baker Heights, the Veterans Affairs Medical Center Fire Department and Berkeley County Office of Emergency Services arrived at the blaze.

Sheriff's deputies assisted with the investigation.

The Herald-Mail Articles