Advertisement

Fire leaves two sisters homeless

officials say wiring to blame

November 11, 2002|by RICHARD BELISLE

waynesboro@herald-mail.com

WAYNESBORO - A Friday morning fire destroyed a two-story frame house off Gap Road and ruined the possessions of two sisters who have been living in the home since 1948.

The unmarried sisters, Jean H. Snowberger, 63, and Katherin E. Snowberger, 69, were in the house when the fire started around 8:30 a.m. They and their pet dog, Whitey, escaped unharmed.

"We did lose our fish," Jean Snowberger said.

The house is in her name.

Waynesboro Fire Marshal Jerry Hartman said the cause was faulty wiring in a back room. Officials had no damage estimate.

The sisters were standing near the hood of an automobile eating hot dogs supplied by the fire department while fire crews were cleaning up.

Advertisement

"We don't know what we're going to do," Jean Snowberger said.

"We'll probably move into the trailer," she said, pointing to an old mobile home in back of their burned-out house.

She said the Red Cross has offered to help.

The women lost their eyeglasses and Katherin said she also lost her purse in the flames.

"They seemed to be taking their loss better than the firefighters," Hartman said.

Several large plastic lawn ornaments - Canada geese, deer, ponies plus some Christmas figures - were set up on the grass outside the home.

"We were just starting to decorate for Christmas," Jean Snowberger said. "We were going to start on the porches and the inside next week."

Fishack said the building was in flames when the first units arrived.

Several firefighters had entered the burning house but were ordered out when it was determined it could not be saved.

Nine companies from Franklin and Washington counties responded, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|