'Cats bomb Huskies from start to finish

November 08, 2002|by BOB PARASILITI

WILLIAMSPORT - It sounds so easy.

This game of volleyball doesn't seem so difficult once Williamsport coach Kristi Gee gets one of her sure-fired philosophies in place.

"It's all where you pass the ball," Gee said matter-of-factly. "If you can't pass, you can't pound."

In other words, you can't finish if you don't begin. And the Wildcats did it all from start to finish Thursday, convincingly dismantling Northern Garrett 15-1, 15-6, 15-1 in the Maryland Class 1A West semifinals.

No. 1 Williamsport (15-1) emphatically put finishing touches on its points with kills from every direction. But the points were all a product of some precise setups.


"Our passing was on tonight ... and when the passing is there, everything else works," Gee said. "We didn't pass that well on Monday, so we really worked on it the last couple of days and it paid off."

The pin-point placements allow Williamsport to move into the West final at Southern Garett on Saturday at 7 p.m.

The Huskies (11-8) should have realized the prelude to things to come right from the start.

Denise Sullivan started the Wildcats off with an ace for the first point. That was followed by consecutive kills by Lindsey Plotner, Katie Saufley and Kristen Wier, all three front-line players, off the next three serves for a 4-0 lead.

Sullivan went on to serve the first eight points of the first game and Williamsport never looked back.

"I think what it was is we stayed low, touched the floor and talked ... we communicated a lot," Williamsport's Jamie Pritchett said. "We were doing all the things (Gee) was telling us."

Sullivan and Staci Grabill led the passing chores with 15 assists each while Plotner had 11 kills and Meggie Miller added seven.

Sullivan's quick burst of serves forced Northern Garrett to call time to try and slow Williamsport's momentum. It ended up being all the validation the Wildcats needed to prove everything was going their way.

"We didn't know what to expect from Northern Garrett," Gee said. "We didn't know too much about them and we don't get to see those teams from (Allegany County). Every coach gets nervous in those games, but when you get the other team take a quick timeout, it makes you feel like things are going to be all right."

Williamsport led 9-1 before Grabill and Miller served three points each to close out the first game.

Northern Garrett took a 3-0 lead to start the second game, but Williamsport countered with the next 10 points of the serving of Miller and Pritchett. The Huskies got within 10-6 before Williamsport closed it out.

The Wildcats scored the first 13 points of the final game.

The Herald-Mail Articles