South rushes past, shuts out Williamsport-Prep Football

October 28, 2002|by JACK HILL III

The South Hagerstown Rebels showed off their running game Friday night, rushing for 231 yards to beat the Williamsport Wildcats 31-0 in a Monocacy Valley Athletic League football game at School Stadium.

South (6-2, 6-1) played without junior quarterback David Miner, who missed the game for disciplinary reasons. He is expected back next week when South hosts Middletown.

"It was a nice win for the kids," South coach Greg Kellick said. "It was a good way to bounce back after last week's loss. We wanted to run the ball tonight, because we didn't run the ball well last week. The kids wanted to re-establish our running game. Mike Campbell and Jamel Smith are both capable of having big games. They did a nice job tonight. They are seniors and we expect them to lead us."

Campbell, a senior fullback, rushed for 74 yards on 10 carries and two touchdowns, covering 53 and 1 yards.


"Last week's loss was just a wakeup call," Campbell said. "That loss made everybody on the team work harder. We came into the game pretty well focused. Next week, we have to come out and play our 'A' game against Middletown. We have to come out fired up next week."

Campbell thought that the Rebels' offense was running smoothly.

"The line blocked real well tonight and created a lot of holes," Campbell said. "All of the backs ran real hard. I think that we are getting better every week. We're working real hard and hustling as a team in practice."

Smith rushed for 80 yards on six carries and a 37-yard touchdown, while Adam Wray ran for 63 yards on six carries for the Rebels. Friday night's starting quarterback Mike Moyseenko fired a 43-yard touchdown pass to Ben Mertz for South Hagerstown. Philip Powell kicked a 30-yard field goal and three extra points for the Rebels.

"Our defense has played well all year," Kellick said. "Williamsport is young, but they didn't quit. They kept playing. Hats off to their players and to their coaching staff. It's hard to come into a game 0-7 and play hard, but they did it."

The Herald-Mail Articles