Police log for 10/15

October 15, 2002

Trooper remains in critical condition

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - More than three days after he was shot once in the head, a West Virginia State Police trooper remains hospitalized in critical condition.

Trooper Robert J. Elswick was shot Thursday night while responding to a possible domestic battery call on Harper Lane west of Hedgesville, W.Va.

David Eugene Munday, 37, who allegedly shot Elswick, was charged with burglary and kidnapping - charges that stem from the call Elswick was responding to. Munday has not been charged in connection with the shooting. He remains in Eastern Regional Jail in Martinsburg without bail.

Elswick was taken to City Hospital in Martinsburg, then to Washington County Hospital, where he underwent brain surgery.

Frederick deputies investigate shooting

MIDDLETOWN, Md. - Frederick County Sheriff's deputies are investigating a Monday evening shooting that injured a young man, sending him to Washington County Hospital for treatment of a single gunshot wound.


Detective Tracy McCutcheon said the 6:45 p.m. incident occurred in a residential setting in Middletown. She described the victim as a male under the age of 21.

"We are leaning toward accidental as the cause of this shooting," McCutcheon said late Monday.

She said the victim was shot once and was in stable condition after transport via a Maryland State Police medevac helicopter to the Washington County Hospital trauma center.

"Family members have been interviewed in this matter," McCutcheon said.

No further information was available at presstime.

Pumpkin thrown through car's window

Deputies from the Washington County Sheriff's Department responded to numerous incidents of vandalism and theft throughout the weekend and early Monday, police said.

  • The rear window was smashed out of a 2001 Nissan Sentra parked at 18509 Preston Road in Hagerstown at about 5:15 a.m. Monday. Damage was estimated at $500.

    A pumpkin was then thrown through the rear window of a 2000 Ford parked at 18605 Preston Road. Police responded to that call at about 5:41 a.m. Monday. Damage was estimated at $300.

  • A cellular phone valued at $100 was stolen Sunday afternoon from an individual at Valley Mall.

  • A pumpkin was thrown at a 2001 Ford van at 102 S. Conococheague St. in Williamsport at about 10 p.m. Sunday, damaging the rear taillight.

  • A pumpkin damaged a vehicle at 17507 Stone Valley Drive in Halfway late Sunday.

  • The theft of about $150 worth of fishing equipment was reported Sunday morning from a residence at 7 N. Conococheague St. in Williamsport.

  • Two cordless phones valued at about $180 were reported stolen Sunday morning from a residence at 15801 Weller Road near Hancock.

  • Two windows were shot out of a 1994 Buick at 13031 Pennsylvania Ave. in Hagerstown Sunday afternoon. Damage was estimated at $200.

  • The theft of a wallet containing cash and credit cards was reported Saturday night at Toys 'R Us in Hagerstown.

  • A license plate, JHK 085, was stolen from a 1998 Hyundai early Saturday at Kmart in Hagerstown.

Hagerstown man hurt in U.S. 40 crash

CLEAR SPRING - A Hagerstown man was injured Sunday night when his vehicle ran off eastbound U.S. 40, careening several yards before hitting a grove of trees, Maryland State Police said.

James Michael McKeever, 49, of 331 Chartridge Drive, was taken to Washington County Hospital by ambulance shortly after the 10:24 p.m. accident. His condition Monday was good, hospital officials said.

Trooper First Class R.F. Care is investigating the accident.

Accidents, stuck tanker delay traffic

Two Monday afternoon accidents and a tanker that briefly blocked a downtown intersection managed to slow traffic through Hagerstown for nearly an hour.

Just before 3 p.m., an accident at Washington Street and Burhans Boulevard and another wreck at Franklin Street and Cannon Avenue combined to send a number of patients to Washington County Hospital but only with minor injuries, rescuers said.

The tanker was at Washington Street and Mulberry Avenue when it stopped in the intersection while making a turn, backing up afternoon traffic until Hagerstown City Police could clear the street.

The Herald-Mail Articles