Police log for 10/14

October 14, 2002

City men arrested on weapons charges

Two Hagerstown men were arrested Sunday morning after gunfire was reported at the Madison Avenue home of one of the suspects, Hagerstown City Police said.

Rasheen Wayne Jefferson, 26, of 56 Madison Ave., and Floyd Edward Sears, also 26, of 1313 Jay Drive, were being held at the Washington County Detention Center Sunday night on bonds of $175,000 and $100,000, respectively.

Jefferson and Sears are each facing one count each of reckless endangerment, wearing/carrying a handgun, transporting a handgun in a vehicle and discharging a firearm in the city limits, police said.

Jefferson was also charged with two counts of possessing a regulated firearm as a convicted felon and on a separate warrant for violation of probation, police said.


Additional charges against Sears included one count of possessing a regulated firearm and driving while suspended, police said.

A report of gunshots was made at 3:38 a.m. Sunday and police responded to 56 Madison Ave. The officers were advised that several vehicles were involved in the incident and had fled the scene, police said.

A witness to the incident provided the officers with a description of the vehicles and while the officers were at the scene, one of the vehicles returned and was pointed out to Officer Doug Hay.

The 1993 Chevrolet Lumina was stopped in the 900 block of West Washington Street and the two occupants were taken into custody after two handguns were located in the vehicle.

The initial investigation indicates some type of altercation occurred at 56 Madison Ave., resulting in numerous gunshots being fired into the adjacent unoccupied residence at 54 Madison Ave.

No one was injured during the incident.

The weapons were an F.I.E. Model T-18 fully-loaded .22 caliber revolver and a U.S. Army Springfield Armory .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun with one round in the chamber. Two fully-loaded magazines for the .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun were also recovered, police said.

Man charged with DUI, failing to stop

Richard Wayne Mathis, 18, was charged Sunday morning after allegedly hitting two cars with his vehicle at two gas stations and then leaving both scenes, a state police trooper said.

Mathis allegedly hit a car parked at the AC&T gas station on Virginia Avenue near Williamsport at 6 a.m. Sunday and then left the scene. The car sustained minor damage, said Maryland State Police Trooper 1st Class David Harper.

The man then traveled a couple miles south on U.S. 11 to Sheetz in Williamsport, where he again allegedly hit a car in the parking lot and left the scene. That car also sustained minor damage, Harper said.

After traveling north after Sheetz, Mathis' tire went flat and after running out of gas, he went back to the AC&T to get help with his tire, where Harper said the connection was made between the two reported hit-and-run accidents after reports matched Mathis' car.

Mathis, whose address is unknown, was charged with two counts of failing to stop after an accident involving property damage, driving under the influence of alcohol, driving without a license, driving with expired tags, violating a license restriction and possession of alcohol by consumption.

Boy faces charges in U.S. 40 incident

A 15-year-old boy was taken into custody Sunday morning after he allegedly attempted to get hit by traffic in the middle of U.S. 40 while shouting for the police to shoot him, Washington County Sheriff's deputies said.

Deputies were forced to use pepper spray on the boy and take him into custody on an emergency petition at about 1 a.m. Sunday near Brookfield Avenue.

He was taken by ambulance to Washington County Hospital, where he was committed for evaluation, deputies said.

The boy was charged with possession of alcohol by consumption, failure to obey a lawful order of police, hindering/obstructing police and intoxicated endangerment, deputies said.

Abandoned house destroyed by fire

CLEAR SPRING - By the time firefighters arrived in the 11200 block of Gehr Road Saturday night, a fire of unknown origin had destroyed what was believed to be an abandoned two-story, wood-frame house, Maryland state fire marshals said.

"It could have been vandalism or someone who started a warming fire that got away from them," said Allen Gosnell, deputy chief state fire marshal. The investigation is continuing.

More than two dozen firefighters from Clear Spring, Hancock and Williamsport responded to the 9:40 p.m. fire call in the remote area. Also on the scene were three fire marshals and K-9 Canyon, Gosnell said.

"More than 3,000 feet of hose was needed to get back to the fire," Gosnell said.

The identity of the owners of the house was unknown Sunday.

Frederick man charged with disorderly conduct

FREDERICK, Md. - Police responding Sunday morning to an armed robbery call ended up charging a Frederick man with disorderly conduct, second-degree assault and reckless endangerment.

The Herald-Mail Articles