Warriors' rain dance nips Lions

September 30, 2002|by CURT HORNBECKER / Staff Correspondent

BOONSBORO - When Clayton Anders heard Friday night's weather forecast called for rain, it brought a devilish grin to his face. And as the torrential downpour made a quagmire of the Warrior Field, it turned into a beautiful evening.

In a game that featured more fumbles than first downs, the Warriors took full advantage of the miserable field conditions to knock off No. 4 Walkersville, 6-3 in a Monocacy Valley Athletic League game.

"We've seen (Walkersville) play on a dry field and when we heard there was a chance of rain, we thought that might be to our advantage," said the Boonsboro coach.

A series of breaks midway through the fourth quarter made the difference for the Warriors as quarterback Brett Morrell sneaked over from the three with 6 minutes, 31 seconds remaining to secure the victory.


After exchanging punts for most of the second half, D.J. Wilson pounced on a fumble by the Lions to give Boonsboro a first down at the Walkersville 30.

The Warriors escaped a 5-yard loss on first down when Walkersville was whistled for a personal foul, putting the ball on the 20. After two runs netted six yards, Morrell mishandled the third down snap, but Nathan Himes picked up the ball and rumbled 12 yards for a first down to set up the Morrell TD.

"We had some things happen for us," admitted Anders. "We were lucky. That's what you need. Sometimes you just have to have things go your way."

The Warriors defense also had something to say about the outcome, limiting the dangerous rushing tandem of Meikos Parker and Antoine Crawford to just 24 second-half yards and held Walkersville to eight yards of total offense in the final two periods, while forcing three turnovers - all in the fourth period.

The field conditions were certainly a factor in the ball game," said Walkersville coach Hal Grau. "It forced us to run the ball inside, and that took away a lot of our outside game. It negated our speed."

Meanwhile, the Warriors' offense ground out 95 critical yards rushing in the second half, mostly between the tackles, including holding the ball for 12 plays running nearly all of the final five minutes off the clock.

The Lions only score came with less than a minutes left in the first half, as a 16-play march that took more than nine minutes off the clock culminated in a Travis Hubbard 29-yard field goal.

The wet conditions virtually eliminated any semblance of an aerial attack, as the only two second-half passes attempted - both by Walkersville - were intercepted. Only two passes were completed all night - both before the rain started - with the Lions picking up 20 yards, and Boonsboro losing one.

The Herald-Mail Articles