South shuts out Boonsboro-Friday night football

September 23, 2002|by DAN KAUFFMAN

BOONSBORO - Through 46 scoreless minutes Friday night, South Hagerstown remained confident that, given the way the Rebels' defense was stuffing Boonsboro, just one score would be enough.

When Jamel Smith ran around the left side for an 11-yard touchdown with less than two minutes to play, South had its one score and, ultimately, a 6-0 victory over the Warriors.

"Everybody knew our defense would come to play, and we brought our 'A' game, too," Smith said of himself and teammate Mike Campbell, who combined for 186 of the Rebels' 226 rushing yards on the night. "We kept our heads up and didn't let anything keep us down."


South (2-1, 2-0 Monocacy Valley Athletic League) held Boonsboro to just 56 yards in the game, including 44 rushing yards on 30 carries. Rebels defenders sacked Warriors quarterback Brett Morrell four times - three by Donnie Gatrell - and Boonsboro managed only one first down and ran just 15 offensive plays in the second half.

"That's amazing," Rebels coach Greg Kellick said. "They're a run-oriented team, and in my mind they have three threats. ... There's a lot of good players on our team, and we keep telling them if they play as a unit, they can be doggone good, and they proved that tonight."

"Their defensive line completely dominated our offensive line, and that was where the game was won and lost tonight," Boonsboro coach Clayton Anders said. "We were gonna have to hit the big play, and we couldn't hit one."

Boonsboro (1-2, 1-1) wasted its only scoring opportunity on the last drive of the first half. The drive appeared over when the Warriors lined up to punt from their own 41-yard line, and when the snap sailed over punter Nathan Himes' head, disaster seemed certain.

But Himes raced back, got the punt off, then got hit by the Rebels, who were called for a 15-yard roughing the kicker penalty. Coupled with an unsportsmanlike call on Kellick for arguing the call, Boonsboro got a first down on the South 29.

Another 15-yard personal foul on the Rebels for a late hit out of bounds took it down to the 16, and two runs took it to the 4 with about 15 seconds left.

Without timeouts, and with Boonsboro's scoreboard not working (time was kept on the field by the officials), South stuffed Boonsboro's first-down run, and Morrell spiked the ball to stop the game with three seconds left. But Nathan Himes missed a 20-yard field goal as time expired in the half.

"This was an awful game not to have the (scoreboard) running," Anders said. "When you don't know how much time is on the clock, and the referees are yelling to the sidelines 10 seconds, 20 seconds, whatever ..."

Smith and Campbell went ot work in the second half, running for 150 of their yards in the half. Campbell finished with 104 yards on 19 carries, while Smith had 82 yards on 15 carries as South wore down Boonsboro, culminating with Smith's touchdown for the winning score.

"That's all coach kept telling me to do, run hard, run at them and they'd wear down," Campbell said. "I knew our defense wouldn't let up much. I had confidence in them, and I knew our offense could move the ball. We just had to be patient."

The Herald-Mail Articles