No. 6 Williamsport boots Greencastle-boys soccer

September 23, 2002|by ANDREW MASON

WILLIAMSPORT - The shot drought initially almost seemed worth the wait for the Greencastle-Antrim boys soccer team Saturday night in its non-league matchup with host Williamsport.

Trailing 1-0 after getting outshot 12-0 by the Wildcats (No. 6 Herald-Mail poll) in the first half, the Blue Devils (No. 10 Herald-Mail poll) scored seven minutes into the second half on their very first shot of the game. Chris Kiser took a pass from Jared Barkdoll and punched it into the back of the net to tie the contest, 1-1.

However, Greencastle couldn't turn the goal into momentum.

But, Williamsport did. The Wildcats ripped off back-to-back goals in a 19-second span - less than two minutes after Kiser's game-tier - to capture the lead for good on their way to a 4-1 win.


"We came out flat in the second half and they got one," said Wildcats junior Ben Jordan, who finished with two goals and two assists. "Their goal definitely woke us up and got us going."

Jordan - who assisted on Tyler Cannon's first-half score - broke the tie, scorching a six-yard shot into the left corner of the goal off a crosser from Josh Bowers. A few blinks of the eye later, Jordan crossed a pass to Rhett Troxell, who poked it into the right corner of the goal from the top of the box.

"We responded right away," Williamsport head coach Stan Stouffer said, "and the momentum went back to us."

"We let down right after we scored and that's what hurt us," said Greencastle head coach Scott Gelsinger. "If we just could have held them for a while. It's tough to give up a goal like that right after you score.

"But I commend Williamsport for coming right back like that. They're a big strong team and they pass the ball around well."

Jordan rounded out the scoring with just over two minutes remaining, tacking on another goal off an assist from Chris Ciccarelli.

"Jordan played a great game," said Stouffer. "They all played a great game. And Ryan Martin's overlooked in goal because we've got such a good defense in front of him."

Williamsport finished with a 23-5 edge on shots, while Martin, who's only allowed three goals in six games this season, made one save. Blue Devils keeper Stephen Sprague had 13 saves.

The Wildcats (5-1) extended their winning streak to four games, while Greencastle (6-4) had its four-game win streak snapped.

JV: Tie, 1-1

The Herald-Mail Articles