Knight was 'keeping streets safe'

September 18, 2002|by KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI

As a supervisor, Hagerstown City Police Sgt. George Knight could find ways to avoid dangerous street patrols in favor of desk duty if he wanted to, Police Chief Arthur Smith said.

Instead, the 21-year veteran of Hagerstown's police department takes his turn with other members of the department's Patrol Unit, Smith said.

Knight, 46, was wounded early Tuesday as he chased two men who ran from him on Boward Street. The bullet grazed his forehead.


He was treated at Washington County Hospital and released.

The men he had been chasing remained at large Tuesday night.

"He was out here keeping the streets safe," Smith said.

Smith said he was unsure when Knight will return to work.

Officers involved in shootings typically are taken off street duty until they are deemed ready to return, he said.

Knight started out with the department's Patrol Division in 1981 before switching to the criminal investigation division, where he worked with Lt. Richard Johnson.

"He's an excellent officer. He's very thorough," Johnson said.

Knight is a firearms instructor at the Western Maryland Police Academy and a member of the Washington County Special Response Team.

He was promoted to sergeant in 2000 and returned to uniform patrol. He was assigned to work under Lt. Margaret Kline.

"He's a good cop, very street-oriented," Kline said.

When she is away for training and Knight is in charge, she knows things will run smoothly, Kline said.

Knight's brother, Washington County Sheriff's Deputy Mark Knight, said he was notified at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday that his brother had been shot.

"It scared me as much as it scared him," Mark Knight said.

The gunshot wound didn't require stitches and his brother likely was home sleeping, he said Tuesday morning.

As law-enforcement officers, the brothers know that their jobs can be dangerous but they minimize the risks by staying well trained, Mark Knight said.

Mark Knight said he wouldn't let his brother's injury deter him from police work.

"It's like falling off a horse," he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles