Man charged in stabbing of nephew held on bond

September 12, 2002|by SCOTT BUTKI

A Hagerstown man charged with stabbing his 27-year-old nephew Wednesday morning was being held on $150,000 bond at the Washington County Detention Center Wednesday night.

Harry Israel Wolford, 45, of 601 Frederick St., barricaded himself in his nephew's residence at 603 Frederick St. with a rifle before voluntarily leaving the building later Wednesday morning, Hagerstown City Police Lt. Rick Johnson said.

Wolford was charged with one count each of attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, wear/carry a concealed dangerous weapon, wear/carry a dangerous weapon with the intent to injure and malicious destruction of property, police said.


At 1:13 a.m. Wednesday, police officers went to 603 Frederick St. in response to reported property damage. Christina Wolford, Harry Wolford's sister, said he took a typewriter that had been on the front porch and pounded on the front door of the building, police said.

Police told her to file criminal charges through Washington County District Court, police said. Police officers then left the scene.

Both 601 and 603 Frederick Street are owned by Goldie Wolford, Harry's mother, Johnson said. Both homes are inhabited by members of the Wolford family.

At 1:44 a.m., officers were again sent to 603 Frederick St. for some type of disturbance but found no disturbance when they arrived and left the scene, police said.

At 2:09 a.m. officers returned to the scene for a stabbing victim, Jason Dean Wolford, Harry Wolford's nephew, police said. Jason Wolford had been stabbed in the upper chest area, police said.

Jason Wolford underwent emergency surgery and was in fair condition Wednesday night.

Neighbor Jerri Savage said the commotion of the first call woke her up.

"I saw the police come and I saw them go," she said.

Savage said that shortly after 2 a.m., she heard screams and looked out from her home at 613B Frederick St.

The Washington County Special Response Team and hostage negotiators attempted to contact Wolford using a bullhorn and telephone but were unsuccessful, police said.

At 5:05 a.m. Wolford went out the rear of the building without incident and was taken into custody, police said. He suffered no injuries, police said.

Savage said when everything was over, she got about an hour's sleep before she had to go to work.

Staff writer Marlo Barnhart contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles