Blue Devils topplen Hubs

September 06, 2002|by MARK KELLER

A lot has been made about the youth of the Greencastle-Antrim football team this season.

With a roster that features almost as many sophomores as juniors and seniors combined, the Blue Devils have been forced to grow up in a hurry. They took a big step the right direction Thursday night at School Stadium, getting three touchdowns from junior Dustin Mowen to beat North Hagerstown 24-13 in the Hubs' season opener.

The Blue Devils (1-1) rushed for 218 yards, led by Brett Hoffman's 115 yards. Mowen added 71 yards on the ground.

"I saw some nice runs, some nice cuts," said Greencastle coach Chuck Tinninis. "But that all starts with the offensive line, and there again, they are so young."


Hoffman, a junior who started at quarterback in the Blue Devils' 31-24 loss to Carlisle last week, gave way to sophomore Blake Border on Thursday. Border threw two early interceptions, but Tinninis did not give up on the youngster.

"We like to throw when we want to, not when we have to," Tinninis said. "Border did a nice job, the receivers ran good patterns."

The switch also crossed up the Hubs, who had planned for Hoffman to be under center.

"We weren't expecting him to be running the ball," said North coach Danny Cunningham. "They caught us off guard a little bit there."

Still, the Hubs (0-1) got on the board first. After Kyle Robinson picked off a pass by Border, North went 43 yards in six plays to take a 6-0 lead. Quarterback Quielan Gantt punched it in from 2 yards out, but Bobby Waugh did the bulk of the work in the drive, gaining 26 yards on four carries. Waugh finished with 97 yards rushing.

The Blue Devils came right back. A 44-yard run by Hoffman set up an 8-yard touchdown jaunt for Mowen to tie the score at 6-6. Daniel Reese added the two-point conversion to give Greencastle the lead for good.

Greencastle took a 10-6 lead when North's long snapper lofted the ball over the head of the punter and out of the end zone for a safety. Greencastle tacked on another score as Border hit Mowen with a 15-yard scoring strike with just 3 seconds left in the first half.

Greencastle logged a 7-minute drive to start the third quarter, with Mowen again ending the drive in the end zone. His 27-yard run on a third-and-20 play put the Devils ahead, 24-6.

The Hubs kept battling, getting the ball inside the Greencastle 20-yard line three times in the final 12 minutes of the game. Only Waugh made it across the goal line, however, on a 1-yard run with 1 minute left.

"We had opportunities to win this game," Cunningham said. "We had the ball this side of the 30-yard line three times and couldn't get it done. But I'm real happy with the fact they didn't quit."

The Herald-Mail Articles