W.Va. embezzlement hearing postponed

September 05, 2002|by CANDICE BOSELY

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Glenn Edward Stanley, the former interim director of the Martinsburg Boys & Girls Club, appeared in court Wednesday for a preliminary hearing on embezzlement charges, but the case was postponed so an attorney can be appointed to represent him.

Magistrate Joan Bragg refused Stanley's request for reduced bail. He is being held on $25,000 bail at the Eastern Regional Jail.

Stanley, 37, of Winchester Avenue in Martinsburg, is charged with forging the signature of Mark Sutton, vice president of the Boys & Girls Club's board of directors, on two checks. Police allege one check for $1,700 was used to buy two older-model sports cars. Stanley told officers the cars were to be used by the club for transportation of children, police said.


A $889 check was used to pay for Stanley's uncle's funeral expenses in Baltimore, police allege.

Stanley faces one felony count of embezzlement.

In court, Stanley was shackled at the feet and wrists. A tattoo on his right arm depicted a basketball going into a hoop with "Glen Jr." written underneath it.

With no attorney by his side, Stanley began speaking to Magistrate Bragg. "I've never served (time in prison) or been convicted of a charge in my life," he said after the prosecutor said Stanley faced numerous charges in the past in Baltimore City and Baltimore County, Md.

Martinsburg Police Department Detective Sgt. George Swartwood declined to give the nature of those previous charges.

Stanley also told Bragg he never stole anything from the club, but Bragg interrupted and told him not to make any more statements or she could not preside over the case when it's rescheduled.

In his request for a court-appointed attorney, Stanley indicated that he has three children, ranging in age from 18 months to 10 years, and a wife. He listed no employment and monthly bills totaling $975.

A conviction on an embezzlement charge carries a penalty of one to 10 years in prison.

The club, on the corner of Queen and John streets, closed for two weeks as scheduled last month, but is to re-open Monday. It is funded through the United Way.

The Herald-Mail Articles