Williamsport, Smithsburg, Clear Spring win in boys tourney

September 05, 2002|by DAN KAUFFMAN

CLEAR SPRING - North Hagerstown outplayed Williamsport and was done in by penalty kicks. Smithsburg outplayed Boonsboro and survived penalty kicks.

That's how it went Wednesday, the first day of the Washington County High School boys soccer tournament.

-- The Hubs thoroughly outplayed the Wildcats for the first 65 minutes in taking a 2-0 lead, only to see Williamsport convert on two penalty kicks in the final 15 minutes and then win the shootout, 5-3.

"We got lucky," Wildcats coach Stan Stouffer said. "We didn't do anything. For the first 40 minutes, (Williamsport) looked inconvenienced playing on a hot day. ... We just got lucky to get two penalty kicks in one game. I don't remember having two in a game, and I've been coaching for 20 years."


North (0-1) outshot Williamsport (1-0) 11-1 in the first half, with Mikael Tigrett scoring into an empty net in the 26th minute on a through ball up the middle that a defender and Wildcats keeper Ryan Martin both misplayed.

In the 65th minute, Matt Morin's hard, low free kick from the left of the penalty box found its way between several Hubs and Wildcats and wound up sneaking inside the right post past Martin - who was expecting a deflection - for a 2-0 Hubs lead.

But in the 66th and 74th minutes, North was called for fouls inside their own box, and Williamsport's Ben Jordan converted both penalty kicks to tie the game.

"2-0 is a dangerous score," Hubs coach Glen Singer said. "You get complacent and think you have a bigger lead than you do. You don't like to see a goal like that tie the game, but that happens."

Jordan, Tyler Cannon, Rhet Troxell, Jeremy Draper and Chris Ciccarelli all scored in the shootout for Williamsport. Tigrett, Ben McAbee and Morin all scored for North, but Martin made a diving save to his right, getting an arm on Ryan Flurie's shot and keeping it out.

"I guessed," Martin said of the save. "I knew I had a shot at it. He hit a good kick, and I think God pushed me over there a little bit."

"He's a senior, a three-year starter, he's played in some pressure games and he knew what to expect," Stouffer said. "We were confident once we got to overtime, we would win the shootout."

-- The Leopards and Warriors scored within two minutes of each other in the second half, before Smithsburg won the shootout 3-1 to advance to the semifinals.

Smithsburg (1-0) had six quality scoring chances to the Warriors' one, but Boonsboro (0-1) made its one count, with Marc Nicolski scoring on a cross from Zach Bower in the 44th minute for a 1-0 lead.

Smithsburg answered back on David McDougal's breakaway down the middle and easy score to tie the game.

The Leopards just missed taking the lead in the 57th minute when Jerry Spessard's corner kick deflectd off several players to Tim Gaines, whose shot was pinned between Boonsboro keeper Ryan Stone, a defender and the left post before being saved.

In the 58th minute, Chad Rupert found Stephen Kurz open in the middle of the box, but Kurz had his shot blocked as Smithsburg was denied again.

"We're still trying to find the guys who are going to be scorers," Leopards coach Paul Newman said. "We had some new guys up there and it showed. We didn't finish real well."

But in the shootout, McDougal, Zachary Fay and Spessard scored for Smithsburg, while Bower was the only one able to convert for Boonsboro against Leopards keeper Sean Hunt.

-- In the third game, Clear Spring defeated South Hagerstown 3-1 in a game called five minutes into the second half because of a power outage.

Zeb Jacobs scored twice for the Blazers (1-0), while Brad Turner scored the other goal. Drew Holler had two assists and Ben Sigler also had an assist.

Thomas Mittendorfer scored for the Rebels (0-1).

The Herald-Mail Articles