Pepper spray causes evacuation of building

September 03, 2002|by KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI

A Youngstoun Drive apartment building had to be evacuated briefly Sunday after pepper spray used to apprehend a man who barricaded himself in a unit spread throughout the building, police said.

Hagerstown City Police, the Washington County Sheriff's Department and Maryland State Police were called to 11318 Youngstoun Drive at 9:21 p.m. Sunday after a man reported that his brother barricaded himself in a unit and might have been armed.

Mohamed Mohamed Abdelbaki was charged with eight counts of first- and second-degree assault, one count of burglary and two counts of malicious destruction of property.


When officers arrived Mohamed Raouf Mohamed Abdelbaki, 56, of Apt. 1507 Youngstoun Drive, told police that he received a call from his oldest son advising him that his other son, Mohamed Mohamed Abdelbaki, had threatened to kill his father.

Mohamed Raouf Abdelbaki told police Mohamed Mohamed Abdelbaki broke into his home and assaulted him on Aug. 31. He said he had thrown him out after he refused to attend college or work. He said his son entered his apartment by climbing a window in the front of the building.

Police said the window screen was damaged.

Mohamed Raouf Mohamed Abdelbaki told police that he wanted his son removed and gave police a key to the apartment.

When officers unlocked the door, they found it would not open because something had been placed against it.

Cpl. Daryl Sanders said he kicked the door open and "I observed what appeared to be a sword coming from the area of the kitchen."

The officers backed out of the apartment and ordered Mohamed Mohamed Abdelbaki, 21, of no fixed address, to drop the sword but he refused, said Sanders.

Hagerstown City Police Sgt. Michael King of the Washington County Special Response Team advised Mohamed Mohamed Abdelbaki to turn himself in but he refused and continued to wave his wooden sword at police.

"The defendant continued to act irrationally and thought someone was going to come in a window after him," said Sanders.

Mohamed Mohamed Abdelbaki became upset and moved toward police with the sword. King fired a Tazer, an electric stun gun, at him and he stopped, then moved back to the couch, police said.

Mohamed Mohamed Abdelbaki again began swinging the wooden sword at police so Sanders said he sprayed him with pepper spray.

The pepper spray incapacitated Mohamed Mohamed Abdelbaki and he was taken into custody, police said.

He was being held at Washington County Detention Center Monday evening on $175,000 bond.

Several knives were found on the table in the living room and the windows were blocked with furniture. The wooden sword had been plunged through the back of a sofa.

The entire building had to be evacuated because of the toxic fumes from the pepper spray, police said.

The Funkstown Fire Department ventilated the building and Community Rescue Service medics provided aid to residents and police exposed to the pepper spray.

Trooper 1st Class D.A. Harper was treated at Washington County Hospital for pepper spray exposure and released.

The Herald-Mail Articles