MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Four historic churches in Berkeley County will be open to the public on Saturday, Sept. 14, and Sunday, Sept. 15. This is a rare opportunity to see the interior design and architecture of the 18th- and 19th-century houses of worship.
Tuscarora Presbyterian Church in Martinsburg is the oldest church in Berkeley County. A log meeting house was framed by the congregation in 1745 with a stone section of the building added in 1802.
Hedgesville Presbyterian Church, Hedgesville, W.Va., is an outstanding example of Carpenter's Gothic architecture. The original pulpit and kerosene light fixtures are still in use.
Mt. Zion Episcopal Church, Hedgesville, was built in 1818. The Greek Revival architecture of this building is original; however, the steeple and porch were built circa 1900.