Advertisement

Sheriff's Dept. gets $675,000

August 29, 2002|by MARLO BARNHART

marlob@herald-mail.com

Washington County Sheriff Charles Mades got word Wednesday that his department has been awarded a $675,000 federal grant to hire eight new deputies.

In May, Mades had predicted the county wouldn't know whether it got the grant until around the end of the year. But the list came out early.

"I'm very happy about this," Mades said after hearing from the office of U.S. Sen. Paul Sarbanes, D-Md. "It's amazing the short turnaround time and they didn't cut back on the amount we asked for either."

Advertisement

The Washington County Board of Commissioners had given Mades permission to apply for the grant, which will pay a total of $75,000 per officer for the three-year period, Mades said.

The grant pays 75 percent while the county picks up the remaining 25 percent over the life of the grant. The county is obligated to keep the officers for at least one year after the three-year period ends, Mades said.

One of the eight community-policing deputies will be assigned to Smithsburg, Mades said.

Mades told the commissioners in May the cost to the county of adding eight deputies, including police cruisers and other equipment, would be about $728,920 for the three-year period.

Washington County got the lion's share of the $1.5 million grant distribution in Maryland, Mades said.

Adding more deputies would allow the county to be more proactive instead of reactive, Mades said in May.

The grant money came through the Universal Hiring Program developed by the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) through the U.S. Department of Justice.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|