Youth club official charged

The interim director of the Martinsburg boys & Girls Club faces on count of embezzelement.

The interim director of the Martinsburg boys & Girls Club faces on count of embezzelement.

August 24, 2002|by CANDICE BOSELY

The interim director of the Martinsburg Boys & Girls Club was charged Friday with one felony count of embezzlement after he allegedly took money from the organization to buy two sports cars and pay for a family member's funeral expenses.

Glenn Edward Stanley, 37, of Winchester Avenue in Martinsburg, is being held in Eastern Regional Jail on $25,000 bail. He faces one to 10 years in prison if convicted.

According to court paperwork prepared by Detective Sgt. George Swartwood of the Martinsburg Police Department, the embezzlement came to light Tuesday when two members of the club's board contacted police.


Board President Chris Janelle and Vice President Mark Sutton, who are partners in a Martinsburg law firm, noticed the monetary disparity during a monthly financial meeting, Janelle said. Several checks from the club's account had been made out to City National Bank for cash, but Swartwood said he is still trying to determine how much money was involved.

On two other checks, Stanley allegedly forged Sutton's name. Stanley wrote one out for $889 to a Baltimore funeral home to pay for his uncle's burial expenses, police allege.

The other check was made payable last month to AEZ Auto Sales Inc. in Martinsburg for $1,700. Stanley used that money to buy a 1984 Nissan 300 ZX for $600 and a 1985 Nissan 300 ZX for $1,100, police allege.

One of the Nissans has been seized by police. The other is believed to be parked at Dulles International Airport outside of Washington, D.C., where an individual who had permission to drive the car took it, Swartwood said. He declined to elaborate.

Before Stanley's arraignment, Swartwood told Magistrate Harry Snow that Stanley had voluntarily come to the police department, but was not aware at the time that a warrant for his arrest had been issued.

Stanley initially told police that he went to the car dealership on Warm Springs Avenue to buy a van for the club, according to court records. Because AEZ did not have a van, Stanley said the dealer "would be refunding that check ... (Stanley) advised he never purchased anything from the dealership."

When police showed him receipts for the two cars, Stanley changed his story and said he bought the cars for use by the Boys & Girls Club, but registered them in his name for insurance purposes, Swartwood said.

Nobody from the club gave Stanley permission to buy the two cars, court records show.

Boys & Girls Club board members also had discussed advancing Stanley money to pay for his uncle's funeral, but did not authorize any expenditures, Janelle said.

Stanley admitted he forged Sutton's signature on both checks, Swartwood said.

In court paperwork, Stanley wrote that he plans to hire an attorney. He was led out in handcuffs after his arraignment, and he declined to speak to reporters.

Summer programs at the Boys & Girls Club wrapped up as scheduled Friday afternoon, Janelle said. Also as scheduled, the club, which is on the corner of John and Queen streets, will be closed until early September.

"We really hope that when we reopen in two weeks, this will be behind us," Janelle said, adding that he still looks forward to working with a group of dedicated employees and volunteers.

Stanley has been the club's interim director for about three months, Janelle said. He said he was disappointed at Stanley's alleged actions.

"I'd like to think the best of people ... but in this particular context, it's really disturbing because we try to help as many people as possible," he said.

The club's operating budget varies from year to year, depending on donations and funding from the United Way. Janelle said he could not say how much money the club has this year.

The Herald-Mail Articles