WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A Waynesboro man had to find temporary living quarters after his apartment received $5,000 in damage from a Friday night electrical fire, Waynesboro Fire Department Chief Dale Fishack said.
Fishack said the man, whose identity wasn't available, refused assistance from the American Red Cross.
The 10 p.m. fire at 14 N. Potomac St. was caused by overloaded wiring, Fishack said. The breaker had tripped twice earlier that day.
The call to 911 was for a report of smoke in the attic.
When firefighters arrived they found smoke, but no fire. Rather than rip open walls and ceilings aimlessly, Fishack said he called New Franklin Fire Department for its thermal imaging camera. About 15 to 20 minutes later, the camera arrived and firefighters were able to pinpoint the fire in a 6- to 8-inch space between the attic floor and the second-story apartment's ceiling.