Woman charged in kidnapping case

August 15, 2002|by CANDICE BOSELY

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Maryland woman who police allege played a role in the kidnapping of a 24-year-old friend was taken into custody in Florida two weeks ago, and arraigned by a Berkeley County magistrate Wednesday.

Amber Maize Crummitt, 20, also known as "Heaven," of Jefferson, Md., was charged with kidnapping and grand larceny auto, both felonies.

Police allege Crummitt watched as her boyfriend, Brandon D. Green, 20, and another man beat Misty Dawn Hyson with a steel car ramp and shoved her into the trunk of her 2000 gold Honda.


The assault happened outside Green's home on Wrangler Drive in Martinsburg, police said.

Daytona Beach, Fla., police apprehended Green and Crummitt as they walked in the city on July 30, West Virginia State Trooper M.M. Kingery said Wednesday.

By coincidence, as police took Green and Crummitt into custody, a third person wanted in connection with the kidnapping passed them in the stolen Honda as he was being chased by police, Kingery said.

Police found and impounded Hyson's car a few days later, but have not found the third person being sought, Kingery said.

Hyson described that man as a tall, thin, light-skinned black man, around 18 years old, with a tongue ring and a tattoo on his right forearm, Kingery said. The tattoo is of a name or nickname, Kingery said.

Kingery said he was not sure what prompted Florida police to approach Crummitt and Green before taking them into custody.

The kidnapping happened on July 9, after Hyson went to Green's home to go car shopping with Crummitt, police alleged.

Hyson was choked, her head was smashed into a wall and she was hit with a steel car ramp and placed in the trunk, police allege.

Throughout the assault, Hyson pleaded for help from Crummitt, who just watched, police alleged.

As the assailants turned around in the median of Interstate 70 near Clear Spring, Hyson, who had been manipulating the trunk latch release, either got the trunk door open or it sprung open, Kingery said.

Hyson, who is from Maryland, was taken to the hospital but has since been released, Kingery said. She had to undergo additional surgery to repair her shoulder, which was injured in the assault, Kingery said.

Green was returned to Martinsburg last week and arraigned on charges of kidnapping, grand larceny auto and malicious wounding Sunday. Crummitt's extradition was delayed because the bonding agency handling the transport could not bring her and Green north at the same time.

Green and Crummitt were being held in Eastern Regional Jail without bail.

A conviction on a kidnapping charge is punishable by a maximum sentence of life in prison.

The Herald-Mail Articles