No one is injured in Interstate 81 crash

August 10, 2002|by RICHARD BELISLE

A vehicle slammed into a parked truck and a disabled tour bus along Interstate 81 Friday night, but no one was injured, Maryland State Police in Hagerstown said.

Police charged Jonathan David Nevling, 20, of 4380 Pine Lane, Chambersburg, Pa., with reckless driving in the accident, which occurred around 8 p.m. in the southbound lane near the intersection of Interstate 81 and Maugansville Road.

The bus was carrying members of a youth precision drill team and some adults from New Jersey to a competition in Charlotte, N.C., when it broke down. The passengers had been transferred to another bus before it was hit, police said.


State Police TFC Chris Banard said Nevling was southbound at a high rate of speed and was changing lanes erratically. Nevling turned into the slow lane and braked sharply, skidded about 200 feet, ran onto the right shoulder and struck a 2002 Dodge Dakota pickup truck that was parked behind the bus, Banard said.

The bus and the pickup had their flashers on, witnesses said.

The impact pushed the pickup over the bank. Nevling's 1995 Mustang then hit the left rear of the bus, spun around in the road and ended up facing north in the passing lane.

Deams Green of East Orange, N.J., the bus driver, was sitting in the driver's seat at the time of impact, police said.

Steve Miles of Hagerstown was southbound in his pickup.

"I stopped to help the guys with the bus. I parked behind it and put my flashers on," he said.

Miles and Green's companions, Calvin Dorsey and Frank Lloyd, were standing on the grass talking near the front passenger door of the bus when they heard tires squealing.

"I just took off when I heard it," Dorsey said.

James Adams, 17, of Fayetteville, Pa., was a passenger in Nevling's car.

The car and truck sustained extensive damage and had to be towed from the scene.

The pickup was struck with such force its left rear wheel was ripped from the vehicle and the tire was torn from the rim.

Miles said he recently bought the pickup, which he ordered from the factory.

"It only has 6,000 miles on it," he said.

Traffic was backed up in the southbound lane for about an hour, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles