Five injured in two I-81 accidents

August 07, 2002|by RICHARD BELISLE

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - One man was in serious condition, two were in satisfactory condition and two others were treated at area hospitals and released Tuesday following two unrelated motor vehicle accidents on Interstate 81 in Franklin County, Pa.

Pennsylvania State Police in Chambersburg said both accidents occurred when drivers lost control of their vehicles following front tire blowouts.

The first accident occurred in the southbound lane about two miles north of the Maryland state line at around 3:20 p.m. That accident involved three men from Frederick, Md., who were riding in a 1992 Chevrolet pickup truck.

According to Trooper C.E. Gleichman, Marvin Bermodez, 30, was driving the pickup southbound when the right front tire blew, causing him to lose control. The truck ran off the east side of the roadway and rolled over once, ejecting one of the men.


Antonio Ortega, 21, the middle passenger, was flown by Life Lion helicopter to York Hospital in York, Pa., where he was listed in serious condition. He was not wearing a seat belt, Gleichman said.

Bermodez and Salvador Macias, 29, the right side passenger, were treated and released from Washington County Hospital, a spokeswoman said. They were both wearing seat belts.

Traffic in both lanes was closed during the accident. Northbound traffic was detoured for about 20 minutes onto U.S. 11 North off Exit 3 before the lanes were reopened. Traffic in the southbound lane was restricted to one lane for about an hour.

Emergency crews responded from Greencastle, Pa., and Maugansville.

The second accident occurred in the northbound lane at around 6:45 p.m. near the 10-mile marker in Guilford Township, police said.

Both occupants of the 1980 Buick Century were from Martinsburg, W.Va.

According to Gleichman, Donald Kline lost control of the car when the left front tire blew out. The vehicle spun onto the east side berm and hit an embankment, police said.

Kline, 64, and Leyton Brumback, 47, the right front passenger, were treated at Chambersburg Hospital and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The Marion Volunteer Fire Department responded.

The Herald-Mail Articles